Design a piece of furniture using only 1/2″ thick Baltic birch plywood. All cutting of final materials will be done on the CNC router. Plywood for this project will be provided as part of the lab fee for this class. Projects must adhere to the following requirements:
- each student must produce one piece of furniture
- the piece of furniture must be made entirely from one 30″ x 60″ sheet of 1/2” thick baltic birch plywood – a piece of this material will be provided.
- no fasteners or adhesives of any kind are allowed, nor are any “foreign” parts, pieces, or materials – all parts and components will be cut on the CNC machine from the single 30″ x 60″ sheet
- projects will be evaluated for style and creativity, but first and foremost they will be expected to have structural integrity and sensitivity to the material and production process
- projects will be cut on the CNC router using only curve-driven cuts
- 1.5 hours of time on the machine will be allotted per student (this includes set-up and clean up)
- only 1 tool (bit) will be used – a 15/32” flat ended bit (consider the kerf this tool will produce)
- plywood sheets will be secured to the machine bed by vacuum, but small parts will require tabs. In some cases, screws may also be needed to secure the material to the bed.